To unlock Containment Bay S1T7 (Extreme), also known as Sephirot EX, you need to accept the Level 60 quest “A Fiendish Likeness” from Unukalhai in The Rising Stones (X:6.1, Y:5.3).
But first you have to finish the patch 3.0 MSQ “Heavensward” from the Guidance Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0), and you need to also defeat Sephirot in Containment Bay S1T7 (Normal) before you can unlock the Extreme version.
Step-by-Step Unlock Guide
- Complete the Level 60 MSQ “Heavensward” from the Guidance Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0).
- Finish the Level 60 introductory quest for The Warring Triad storyline “Gods of Eld” from Torsefers in The Pillars (X:11.7, Y:11.5).
- Accept the quest “When the Bough Wakes” from Unukalhai in The Rising Stones (X:6.1, Y:5.3) and defeat Sephirot in Containment Bay S1T7.
- Accept the quest “A Fiendish Likeness” from Unukalhai in The Rising Stones (X:6.1, Y:5.3).
- Present the Allagan tomestone of theology to the Verification Node on the Flagship in Azys Lla (X:25.6, Y:22.4).
Detailed Unlocking Guide
Containment Bay S1T7 (Extreme) is one of the endgame trials introduced in the Heavensward expansion.
To unlock endgame content for this expansion, you need to finish the Level 60 MSQ “Heavensward” from the Guidance Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0). This MSQ concludes the main story for patch 3.0 of the Heavensward expansion.
Once that’s done, you’ll need to start The Warring Triad storyline. That storyline begins with the Level 60 quest “Gods of Eld” from Torsefers in The Pillars (X:11.7, Y:11.5).
In this quest, you’ll meet the stranger named Unukalhai, who will tell you about the dangers of three ancient eikons imprisoned by the Allagan Empire, including Sephirot.
Then talk to Unukalhai once again and accept the quest “When the Bough Wakes” to unlock Containment Bay S1T7’s normal mode. Defeat Sephirot in that trial to continue.
After clearing Containment Bay S1T7 Normal, talk to Unukalhai once more and accept the quest “A Fiendish Likeness.”
He’ll present you with an Allagan tomestone that you need to bring to the verification node in Azys Lla (X:25.6, Y:22.4).
This tomestone will allow you to simulate a stronger version of Sephirot within the research facility.
After turning in the tomestone, Containment Bay S1T7 (Extreme) will be unlocked.
This trial requires at least a Level 60 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 205 to enter.
Trial Boss: Sephirot (Extreme)
This fight can be soloed with a Tank character if you enter it unsynced. It’s also possible with a DPS or healer, but it’ll be much more dangerous and time-sensitive due to the naturally lower defenses those classes have.
You’ll also need to do some mechanics correctly to avoid getting insta-KO’ed. Bring at least one other person if you’re having trouble clearing it consistently.
If you want to do the trial as intended with a full party of eight while synced, you can familiarize yourself with the mechanics and rotations below:
Phase 1: Ein Sof, Fiendish Rage, and Ratzon
Triple Trial > Tiferet x2 > Triple Trial > Ein Sof (multiple) > Tiferet > Fiendish Rage > Tiferet x2 > Chesed > Triple Trial > Tiferet > Ein Sof (single) > Tiferet > Ratzon > Ein > Ratzon > Tiferet x2 > Chesed > Repeat from 2nd Triple Trial until 65% HP
- Tiferet: A room-wide AoE attack that can be cast twice in a row. Mitigate and heal through the damage.
- Ein Sof (multiple or single): Up to four green expanding AoEs will appear around the arena that will constantly apply stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuffs for 60 seconds to anyone standing in them.
- Fiendish Rage: One DPS and one healer will each get a stack marker that applies “Physical Vulnerability Up” for five seconds. Spread out into two groups (DPS and tanks/healers) to mitigate incoming damage. Getting hit by more than one “Fiendish Rage” will kill you.
- Chesed: The boss will slowly arch its three left arms back for a tankbuster attack. Use mitigation skills and heal through the damage.
- Triple Trial: A non-telegraphed frontal cone AoE on the primary target.
- Ein: The boss will arch all of its hands back to prepare a room-wide AoE directly in front of it. Run behind the boss to avoid.
- Ratzon: Seven players will be marked with one large purple AoE and six smaller green AoEs. Spread them out to avoid overlapping damage.
To recap, here’s what you need to do in Phase 1 based on the rotation:
- Tank the boss toward the center of the arena.
- Heal through a “Triple Trial,” two “Tiferet” AoEs, and another “Triple Trial.”
- Run toward the safe cardinal direction with your assigned group (DPS or tanks/healers) for “Tiferet” and “Fiendish Rage.”
- Shield and heal through another “Tiferet,” “Chesed,” and “Triple Trial.”
- When the single “Ein Sof” AoE appears, have the party stack between it and the boss.
- Wait for the boss to start casting “Ein,” then run behind the boss while spreading out the “Ratzon” markers.
- Heal through two more “Tiferet” AoEs and another “Chesed.”
- Repeat the rotation until the boss drops to 64% HP.
Phase 2: Binah and Cochma
Binah x3 + Cochma > Binah x3 + Cochma > Binah x3 > Binah x3 > Ein Sof Ohr
- Binah and Cochma: Clones that must be destroyed before the boss finishes charging “Ein Sof Ohr.” Have the main tank grab the “Cochmas” while the off-tank grabs the “Binahs.”
- Solid Stone (Binah): A single-target attack that deals moderate damage.
- Empty Hand (Cochma): A strong tankbuster attack that also applies a “Magic Vulnerability Up” debuff for 30 seconds.
- Genesis (Binah and Cochma): A room-wide AoE attack upon the mob’s death. Stagger the kills per group (Binahs then Cochma) to give healers enough time to top everyone off.
- Ein Sof Ohr: A room-wide ultimate AoE attack based on the number of “Binah” and “Cochma” mobs still alive. Kill the extra mobs before this cast goes off, or your party will wipe.
Phase 3: Yesod, Force Field, Fiendish Wail, and Da’at
Yesod > Force Field > Spirit + Life Force > Fiendish Wail + Ein Sof (multiple) + Da’at (tethers) > Fiendish Wail > Spirit + Life Force > Earth Shaker > Yesod > Da’at (no tethers) > Fiendish Wail > Spirit + Life Force
- Yesod: Near-instant ground AoEs under random players that apply “Damage Down” debuffs for 15 seconds. This mechanic will take a snapshot of your last position with a bright yellow flash before the AoEs go off. Stay in one area to bait the AoEs, then move out once the yellow light flashes.
- Force Field: Players will receive either a “Force of Might” or “Force of Magic” status for 46 seconds, which will determine how they’ll handle incoming mechanics.
- Force of Might: This yellow-orange status allows you to stand in “Fiendish Wail” towers without taking excess damage.
- Force of Magic: This blue-green status allows you to grab “Da’at” tethers without taking excess damage.
- Spirit + Life Force: The boss will spawn two orbs on each side of the arena that will eventually explode into two AoEs. How you handle this mechanic will change depending on your current “Force Field” status.
- If you have Force of Might: Stand on the yellow-orange orb’s side.
- If you have Force of Magic: Stand on the blue-green orb’s side.
- If you don’t have either status: Shield and heal through the AoE damage normally.
- Fiendish Wail: Two towers that need to have at least one player standing inside to avoid the 60-second stacking “Vulnerability Up” and 15-second “Damage Down” debuffs. How you handle this mechanic will change depending on your current “Force Field” status.
- If you have Force of Might: You’ll take reduced damage, so stand inside the towers. Call out which tower you’ll run toward to ensure both towers are covered.
- If you have Force of Magic: You’ll take extra damage, so stay away from the towers.
- If you don’t have either status: Have the tanks take one tower each.
- Ein Sof (multiple): Starting from Phase 3, multiple “Ein Sof” AoEs will appear one at a time together with other mechanics.
- Da’at: A small, four-hit AoE attack that deals extra damage to players with the “Force of Might” status and deals reduced damage to players with the “Force of Magic” status.
- Tethers: If “Da’at” has tethers, “Force of Might” players should run toward the outer edges to extend their tethers. Then, have players with “Force of Magic” run toward the boss and grab the tethers.
- No tethers: Run away from the rest of the group to avoid overlapping damage. Shield and heal through the damage normally.
- Earth Shaker: One DPS and one healer will receive an “Earth Shaker” line AoE marker on top of their heads. Run toward the boss’ flanks to avoid overlapping damage.
To recap, here’s what you need to do in Phase 3 based on the rotation:
- Stand in one area until the yellow light flashes, then move out for the first “Yesod.”
- Identify which Force status you receive (Might or Magic) during “Force Field.”
- Stand in the corresponding orb depending on your Force status for “Spirit + Life Force.”
- Have the Force of Might players stand in the “Fiendish Wail” towers while avoiding the slowly expanding “Ein Sof” AoEs. Immediately after, the Force of Might players will receive “Da’at” tethers.
- Have the Force of Might players drag their tethers to the outer edges of the arena between the gaps of the “Ein Sof” AoEs. At the same time, the Force of Magic players should run toward the boss and grab these tethers away from the Force of Might players to soak the “Da’at” attacks.
- Stand inside the “Fiendish Wail” towers once more if you have Force of Might.
- Run toward the corresponding orb again based on your Force status.
- Bait the “Yesod” AoEs in one area again before spreading the “Earth Shaker” markers out toward the flanks. At this point, your Force status should have timed out already.
- Spread out and heal through the non-tethered “Da’at” attacks.
- Have each tank stand in a “Fiendish Wail” tower.
- Mitigate and heal through a regular “Spirit + Life Force” room-wide AoE.
Phase 4: Pillars of Mercy and Pillars of Severity
Pillars of Mercy + Ein Sof (multiple) + Yesod > Earth Shaker > Da’at (no tethers) + Yesod > Fiendish Wail > Spirit + Life Force > Malkuth > Storm of Words + Binah x4 > Spirit + Life Force > Fiendish Wail > Yesod > Spirit + Life Force > Yesod > Spirit + Life Force > Pillars of Severity > Repeat from Phase 3
- Pillars of Mercy: Three knockback AoE markers will spawn in the following areas of the arena: North > West > East. Run toward the opposite end of the cardinal direction where the boss will attack to avoid getting pushed off the arena. For example, when the boss punches the northern quadrant, stand on the southern side of the AoE (and so on).
- Malkuth: The boss will blow air in front of it, knocking players back. Use knockback-immunity skills or stand directly before him to avoid getting blown off.
- Storm of Words: The boss will summon a wind elemental that must be killed immediately. This elemental will drop a coronal wind that can be used to survive “Pillars of Severity.”
- Revelation (Storm of Words): The elemental will start casting this attack after spawning. If this attack goes off, the elemental will disappear, and your party will die to “Pillars of Severity.”
- Pillars of Severity: The boss will drop its right arms one by one, knocking players back each time. Then, it’ll swipe across the arena, instantly killing anyone it hits. Stand inside the coronal wind stack marker created by the “Storm of Words” to survive.
To recap, here’s what you need to do in Phase 4 based on the rotation:
- Determine where the first “Ein Sof” AoE will appear.
- Stand in one area until the yellow flash appears to bait the “Yesod” AoEs.
- Position yourselves away from the first two “Ein Sof” AoEs while still standing at the southern portion of the first “Pillars of Mercy” AoE.
- Use the “Pillars of Mercy” AoEs’ knockbacks to avoid the succeeding “Ein Sof” AoEs.
- Spread the “Earth Shaker” markers out toward the flanks.
- Bait another set of “Yesod” AoEs in one area before moving out to avoid overlapping damage with non-tethered “Da’at” attacks.
- Deal with “Fiendish Wail” and “Spirit + Life Force” normally (no Force Status).
- Stand directly in front of the boss or use knockback-immunity skills for “Malkuth.”
- Have each tank grab two “Binah” mobs while the rest of the party destroys “Storm of Words.”
- Heal through another “Spirit + Life Force” AoE.
- Have one tank stand on each “Fiendish Wail” AoE. Yesod will also go off during this mechanic, so remember to move out once the yellow light flashes. At this point, the “Storm of Words” should have been killed already.
- Deal with two more “Spirit + Life Force” and one “Yesod” while killing the “Binah” mobs.
- Run toward the coronal wind stack marker to avoid “Pillars of Severity.”
- Repeat the fight from Phase 3 until the boss is down.
Sephirot EX has an enrage timer of about 11 minutes. If the boss isn’t dead by then, it’ll cast “Pillars of Severity” that can’t be dodged, and your party will wipe.
Note: Fiend Totems can be traded for weapon loot (10 fragments) or the Warring Lanner Whistle (99 fragments) with Bertana in Idyllshire (X:5.9 Y:5.2).
- 20 Allagan Tomestones of Poetics
- Sephirot Triple Triad Card (not guaranteed)
- Fiend Totem (1 per clear)
|Word of the Sephirot||Book||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Song of the Sephirot||Book||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Bow of the Sephirot||Bow||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Cane of the Sephirot||Cane||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Points of the Sephirot||Daggers||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Fire of the Sephirot||Firearms||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Fists of the Sephirot||Fist Weapon||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Axe of the Sephirot||Greataxe||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Edge of the Sephirot||Greatsword||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Katana of Sephirot||Katana||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Paladin’s Sephirot Arms (IL 220)||Other||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Pike of the Sephirot||Polearm||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Rapier of Sephirot||Rapier||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Shield of the Sephirot||Shield||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Staff of the Sephirot||Staff||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Star of the Sephirot||Star Globe||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Fiend Sap||Crafting material||Basic|
|Faded Copy of Fiend||Orchestrion Roll||Basic|
|Sephirotic Weapon Coffer (IL 220)||Other||Basic|
|Warring Lanner Whistle||Other||Basic|
Final Fantasy XIV
- FFXIV Containment Bay S1T7 (Extreme): Unlock + Trial Guide