The Jade Stoa (Extreme) trial, also known as Byakko EX, can be unlocked by selecting the option “Talk about Byakko” while speaking with The Wandering Minstrel in Kugane (X:11.6, Y:12.5).
But this option won’t become available until you complete some prerequisite quests, including the Main Scenario Quest “Hope on the Waves” from patch 4.2 of the Stormblood Expansion. Let’s go through what you need to complete below:
Quick Step-by-Step Unlock Guide
- Finish the MSQ “Hope on the Waves” from Yugiri in Kugane (X:11.2, Y:9.6).
- Complete the quest “An Auspicious Encounter” from Soroban in The Ruby Sea (X: 5.7, Y:15.7).
- Speak with The Wandering Minstrel in Kugane (X:11.6, Y:12.5) and select the option “Talk about Byakko”.
Detailed Unlocking Guide
To unlock The Jade Stoa (Extreme), you’ll need to complete the Main Scenario Quest “Hope on the Waves” from Yugiri in Kugane (X:11.2, Y:9.6).
This quest is part of the patch 4.2 Main Scenario Questline of the Stormblood expansion, so you’ll need to complete every MSQ leading up to “Hope on the Waves.”
As with every trial in the game, you’ll need to finish the trial’s normal mode before you can unlock its extreme mode.
After you finish “Hope on the Waves,” you’ll be able to start The Four Lords Questline, where you’ll follow Soroban’s quest to find The Ruby Sea’s mythical treasure.
Go to The Ruby Sea (X: 5.7, Y:15.7) and accept the quest “An Auspicious Encounter” from Soroban.
Your first journey with the curious Kojin takes you to the Hells’ Lid dungeon, where you’ll need to defeat the auspice Genbu. This dungeon requires a level 70 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 310 to enter.
Upon clearing Hells’ Lid, Genbu will take you to the Reisen Temple to discuss the dire situation that the people of The Ruby Sea face.
Continue going through the story until you unlock The Jade Stoa’s normal mode. This trial requires a level 70 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 325. Quell Byakko’s raging aramitama in the trial to complete the quest.
Once you defeat Byakko and finish “An Auspicious Encounter,” head to Kugane (X:11.6, Y:12.5) and speak with your biggest fan, The Wandering Minstrel.
Since you already cleared The Jade Stoa normal mode, you should have the option “Talk about Byakko” when you speak with him.
Select this option to begin telling the Minstrel about your fight with the sacred auspice. Soon after, he’ll sing praises about your battle with Byakko for everyone in the market to hear. Once you finish your conversation with The Wandering Minstrel, The Jade Stoa (Extreme) will be unlocked.
This trial requires an average item level of at least 340 and a level 70 Disciple of War or Magic job to enter. The fight may seem complicated at first glance, but it’s quite easy once you get the hang of it. Let’s go through each mechanic below:
Trial Boss: Byakko (Extreme)
Since this trial was released way back in patch 4.2, higher-leveled gear and the “Echo” buff made it possible to solo it. This fight can be soloed with a level 90 or above tank character, proper gear, and optimized skill rotations.
You need a tank character to survive an instant-KO mechanic using invulnerability skills. At some point in the fight, this instant-KO mechanic will happen while your invulnerability skills are on cooldown.
So you’ll need to have enough DPS to defeat the boss before this happens.
Due to its difficulty, it’s not recommended to solo this fight.
Have at least one other person with you if you want to do this trial with an undersized party. If you’re looking for a challenge, you can do the fight with seven other people while synced. Here’s a list of mechanics to help you out:
Phase 1: State of Shock + Highest Stakes and Unrelenting Anguish
Storm Pulse > Heavenly Strike > State of Shock + Highest Stakes x2 > Unrelenting Anguish > Storm Pulse > Ominous Wind > Fire and Lightning.
Assign three players (one healer and two DPS players) to group up with tanks for “State of Shock + Highest Stakes” to mitigate incoming damage.
- Storm Pulse: A group-wide AoE attack. Mitigate and heal through the damage.
- Heavenly Strike: A strong tankbuster on the primary target. Use damage reduction skills and heal through the damage.
- State of Shock + Highest Stakes: The boss will first use “State of Shock,” grabbing the player with the highest enmity, stunning and fettering them for a few seconds. Then, the boss will cast “Highest Stakes,” causing a random stack marker to appear somewhere in the arena. This marker indicates where the targeted player will be slammed. The slam will also inflict a “Physical Vulnerability Up” debuff to the stacking players.
To handle this combo, assign one healer and two DPS players to stack with each tank. Players that stack for both markers will die. Note that “State of Shock” + “Highest Stakes” will be used two times in a row.
- Unrelenting Anguish: The boss will jump to the center and spawn “Aratama” orbs in three directions that’ll slowly spin around, effectively cutting the arena into three. These orbs inflict stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuffs upon contact, so avoid these at all times.
- Ominous Wind: During “Unrelenting Anguish,” the boss will also use “Ominous Wind,” debuffing one tank, one healer, and one DPS player. This debuff will cover affected players with a red spherical aura. If two players with this aura get too close to each other, they’ll get knocked in the air. Assign one section for each of the three roles to avoid overlapping damage.
- Fire and Lightning: A large column attack on a random player. Be careful not to touch any “Aratama” orbs while dodging this attack.
Phase 2: Hakutei
Dance of the Incomplete > Aratama > Storm Pulse > Steel Claw > Heavenly Strike > Steel Claw (Hakutei) > Distant Clap + White Herald (Hakutei) > Fire and Lightning (Hakutei) > Storm Pulse > The Roar of Thunder (Hakutei).
The boss will detach his right arm (which also happens to be a tiger), and it’ll begin attacking the party. The entire party, except for the main tank, must focus on the tiger as soon as possible.
- Dance of the Incomplete: The boss will summon the tiger “Hakutei” that must be burned down as soon as possible. The off-tank must immediately pick him up and face him away from the party.
- Aratama: Immediately after Hakutei spawns, two players will be marked. After a few moments, “Aratama” puddles will spawn underneath them three times in a row. These puddles inflict a 10-second “Bleeding” debuff on anyone that wanders into them. Bait these puddles near the edges of the arena.
- Steel Claw (Hakutei): A frontal cleave attack on the primary target. Face Hakutei away from the rest of the group.
- Distant Clap + White Herald (Hakutei): The boss will use “Distant Clap,” a large donut AoE around him that inflicts a “Paralysis” debuff to anyone hit. At the same time, Hakutei will mark the off-tank (2nd in enmity) with a “White Herald” proximity-based AoE marker.
Have the group stack underneath the boss up north while the off-tank stays in the south. Hakutei will slam on top of the off-tank afterward, so mitigate and heal through the slam.
- Fire and Lightning (Hakutei): Immediately after Hakutei uses “White Herald,” he’ll use his own version of “Fire and Lightning.” Dodge as you normally would with the regular version.
- The Roar of Thunder (Hakutei): Hakutei will jump to the center of the arena and begin to cast “The Roar of Thunder.” This attack will deal room-wide AoE damage based on Hakutei’s HP at the end of the cast. Eight orbs will also spawn around the arena. Each orb that touches the tiger will heal it. These orbs also inflict damage-down debuffs depending on your role. Have the healers pop these orbs before they touch Hakutei while the rest of the group burns the tiger down.
Phase 3: Free-fall
Aratama Orbs > Sweep the Leg > Imperial Guard > Aratama Orbs > Imperial Guard > Sweep the Leg > Imperial Guard > Fell Swoop.
After “The Roar of Thunder,” the boss will summon a whirlwind that will send everyone flying in the air.
But what goes up must come down, so all players will begin free-falling after a few moments. During this time, you can only dodge the boss and Hakutei’s attacks, which can knock you back. The outer edges of the arena will instantly kill anyone that touches it, so don’t get hit.
- Aratama orbs: The boss will begin firing more orbs from below that still inflict stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuffs. Move away from these as necessary.
- Sweep the Leg: A telegraphed donut AoE with a slight knockback. Move to the center of the arena to dodge.
- Imperial Guard: Hakutei will fire a column attack through the center of the arena that will knock anyone toward the edge to their deaths. If you have to choose between dodging “Aratama” orbs and “Imperial Guard,” always dodge “Imperial Guard” first.
- Fell Swoop: After the free-falling phase ends, the boss will cast its ultimate attack, “Fell Swoop.” This is a room-wide AoE attack, so mitigate and heal through the damage. You’ll also have time to resurrect players that died before this attack goes off.
Phase 4: Gale Force + Bombogenesis
Heavenly Strike > Hundredfold Havoc > State of Shock + Highest Stakes x2 > Sweep of the Leg > Unrelenting Anguish > Storm Pulse > Gale Force + Bombogenesis > Ominous Wind > Fire and Lightning x2
- Storm Pulse (Phase 4 onwards): This attack will now be used two times in a row in the same cast.
- Unrelenting Anguish (Phase 4 onwards): The “Aratama” orbs will now spawn in four directions.
- Hundredfold Havoc: Two sets of circular directional markers will appear near the center of the arena. After a few moments, these markers will drop electric AoEs that will apply a “Paralysis” debuff to anyone in its paths. Identify the first set of markers that will go off and dodge accordingly.
- Sweep of the Leg: Immediately after the second “State of Shock + Highest Stakes,” the boss will use a non-telegraphed, 270-degree AoE in front of him. Stack behind the boss to avoid.
- Gale Force + Bombogenesis: During “Unrelenting Anguish,” one tank, one healer, and one DPS player will be marked with orange “Gale Force” AoE circles. These AoEs will drop expanding “Bombogenesis” circles that need to be spread out near the edges of the arena. Players that wander into these expanding AoEs will be damaged and inflicted with stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuffs.
To handle this combo, spread out into three groups based on your roles (as you would with “Ominous Wind”). Then, drop the AoEs near the edges of the arena before moving out.
To make things less complicated, mechanics from Phase 4 to 6 will be listed in the order that they appear.
Here’s what you need to do in Phase 4:
- Mitigate and heal through “Heavenly Strike.”
- Identify which set of “Hundredfold Havoc” will go off first and dodge accordingly.
- Stack with your assigned tank for “State of Shock + Highest Stakes.”
- Move behind the boss for “Sweep of the Leg.”
- Group up with your roles in three separate areas of the arena to prepare for incoming mechanics.
- Heal through “Storm Pulse” while dodging “Aratama” orbs from “Unrelenting Anguish.”
- Drop “Gale Force” + “Bombogenesis” AoEs on the edges of your assigned areas.
- Dodge two “Fire and Lightning” attacks while moving away from the expanding “Bombogenesis” AoEs.
Phase 5: Skipping The Roar of Thunder
Dance of the Incomplete > Aratama > Distant Clap + White Herald (Hakutei) > Fire and Lightning (Hakutei) > Distant Clap > Fire and Lightning (Hakutei) > Heavenly Strike > Steel Claw (Hakutei) > The Roar of Thunder (Hakutei).
The Roar of Thunder (Hakutei – Phase 5): A tank can use the party’s Limit Break Level 3 (if it’s charged) to ignore Hakutei’s AoE damage. This allows the party to continue attacking the boss instead of Hakutei.
Here’s what you need to do in Phase 5:
- Have the off-tank drag Hakutei to the south as soon as he spawns.
- Spread “Aratama” puddles to the sides.
- Move the “White Herald” marker away from the group while the rest stacks underneath the boss for “Distant Clap.”
- Dodge two “Fire and Lightning” attacks from Hakutei with a “Distant Clap” in between.
- Mitigate and heal through a “Heavenly Strike” on the main tank and a “Steel Claw” on the off-tank.
- Use a tank Limit Break Level 3 (LB3) while attacking the boss. If your party doesn’t have LB3 available, attack Hakutei instead to mitigate incoming damage.
Phase 6: Different Combinations + Repeat
Fire and Lightning > Storm Pulse > Hundredfold Havoc > Gale Force + Bombogenesis > State of Shock + Highest Stakes x2 > Sweep of the Leg > Heavenly Strike > Storm Pulse > Distant Clap > Heavenly Strike.
Phase 6 is the final set of unique mechanics you’ll need to learn about. Here’s what you need to do:
- Dodge “Fire and Lightning.”
- Mitigate and heal through “Storm Pulse.”
- Avoid ‘Hundredfold Havoc” while moving to assigned areas for “Gale Force + Bombogenesis.”
- Stack with your assigned tank for “State of Shock + Highest Stakes.”
- Move behind the boss for “Sweep of the Leg.”
- Heal through “Heavenly Strike” and another “Storm Pulse.”
- Stack inside the boss’ hitbox for “Distant Clap.”
- Mitigate and heal through another “Heavenly Strike.”
After the final “Heavenly Strike,” the mechanics will repeat until the boss is down, starting from “Unrelenting Anguish” in Phase 4.
Byakko EX Rewards
Byakko Totems can be traded for weapon loot (10 fragments) or the Auspicious Kamuy Fife (99 fragments) with Eschina in Rhalgr’s Reach (X:13.8 Y:11.8).
- 20 Allagan Tomestones of Poetics
- Byakko Triple Triad Card (not guaranteed)
- Byakko Totem (1 per clear)
|Byakko’s Grimoire||Book||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Codex||Book||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Lutebow||Bow||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Cane||Cane||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Handscythes||Daggers||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Revolver||Firearms||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Fists||Fist Weapon||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Greataxe||Greataxe||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Greatsword||Greatsword||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Katana||Katana||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Lance||Polearm||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Estoc||Rapier||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Shield||Shield||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Rod||Staff||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Ephemeris||Star Globe||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Stone Sword||Sword||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Byakko’s Mane||Crafting material||Basic|
|Faded Copy of the Jade Stoa||Orchestrion Roll||Basic|
|Byakko Weapon Coffer||Other||Basic|
|Auspicious Kamuy Fife||Other||Basic|