To unlock The Bowl of Embers (Extreme) trial, more commonly known as Ifrit EX, you need to accept the quest called “Ifrit Ain’t Broke” from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9).
Before you can accept the “Ifrit Ain’t Broke” quest, you will need to finish a couple other trials first, so we’ve organized a quick timeline of exactly which quests to finish in order before you can access the Ifrit EX trial.
Step-by-Step Unlock Guide
- Complete the Main Scenario Quest “In a Titan Spot” from Y’shtola in The Waking Sands (X:6.1, Y:5.1).
- Complete the quest “Primal Nature” from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9).
- Complete the quest “Gale-force Warning” from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9).
- Complete the quest “Quake Me Up Before You O’Ghomoro” from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9).
- Accept the quest “Ifrit Ain’t Broke” from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9).
- Talk to Flame Commander Swift in the Hall of Flames at Ul’dah – Steps of Nald (X:8.4, Y:8.9).
- Attune yourself to the Zahar’ak Aetheryte in Southern Thanalan (X:35.4, Y:19.9).
Detailed Unlock Guide
To unlock The Bowl of Embers (Extreme) trial, you should first complete the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) called “In a Titan Spot” from Y’shtola in The Waking Sands (X:6.1, Y:5.1).
This MSQ is part of the Main Scenario Questline for patch 2.0, so you must finish every MSQ leading up to “In a Titan Spot” before you can unlock the trial.
Once you finish the required MSQ, you will need to do the Primal Questline from Urianger in The Waking Sands (X:6.0, Y:4.9), starting with “Primal Nature.” The Primal Questline allows you to unlock the Extreme versions of primals you have previously defeated in the Main Scenario Questline.
The Bowl of Embers (Extreme) trial is the third primal fight you will encounter in this quest line.
You’ll need to complete the previous primal fights before you can unlock Ifrit EX – namely:
- Garuda EX — Howling Eye (Extreme)
- Titan EX — The Navel (Extreme)
So after finishing “Primal Nature”, accept the “Gale-force Warning” quest from Urianger. This quest will unlock The Howling Eye (Extreme), where you will face Garuda’s Extreme version.
Once you clear Garuda Extreme, go back to Urianger and accept the “Quake Me Up Before You O’Ghomoro” quest. This will unlock The Navel (Extreme), where you will be able to fight Titan’s Extreme version.
Finally, after you defeat Titan in The Navel (Extreme), talk to Urianger once more and accept the “Ifrit Ain’t Broke” quest.
After accepting the quest from Urianger, you will be directed towards the Flame Commander Swift in Ul’dah – Steps of Nald (X:8.4, Y:8.9). You will warn the commander about the impending return of Ifrit.
Then, Swift will tell you about the disappearances of Immortal Flames scouting parties that were sent to the Zahar’ak region in Southern Thanalan, essentially confirming the primal’s return.
After your conversation with the Flame Commander, head to Southern Thanalan (X:35.4, Y:19.9) and attune to the Zahar’ak Aetheryte.
Once you have attuned to the Aetheryte, The Bowl of Embers (Extreme) trial will be unlocked, allowing you to fight Ifrit’s Extreme version. To enter the trial, you’ll need at least an average item level of 67 and a level 50 Disciple of War or Magic job.
To help you with the fight, here’s a quick breakdown of the mechanics for the trial.
Trial Boss: Ifrit (Extreme)
Due to the trial being released way back in patch 2.1, it’s very easy to solo Ifrit EX when you enter the trial unsynced with a level 90 or above character.
If you can’t burst it down in the first few seconds of the fight, you will need to destroy the infernal nails that will spawn. These nails make Ifrit invincible until they are taken down. Otherwise, just hit Ifrit as hard as you can.
If you are interested in doing the trial while synced, here are the mechanics:
- Eruption: Consecutive AoE attacks will go off on specific targets. The affected players should direct the AoEs away from the rest of the party to avoid extra damage.
- Suppuration: A debuff applies on the primary target from Ifrit’s frontal swipe that increases its stacks. The primary tank should switch with the off-tank once the primary tank’s debuff reaches three stacks.
- Searing Wind: One healer will be afflicted with a debuff that will explode continuously. The affected healer should move away from the party to avoid excess damage. This debuff will move from one healer to the other throughout the entire fight, so affected healers should be aware of this debuff while handling the rest of the mechanics.
- Crimson Cyclone: Four Ifrit clones will spawn on the outer edges of the arena and begin to dash across one clone at a time. The first clone that will dash will glow, so identify the glowing clone and move to its side to avoid getting hit.
- Infernal Plumes: AoE attacks that will cover most of the arena. Quickly move to the safe spot underneath the boss.
- Infernal Nails: Fiery nails that have to be destroyed one at a time. The nails inflict a vulnerability debuff for a few seconds in a huge area, so be careful not to destroy the nails too fast. There will be three “Infernal Nails” phases throughout the entire encounter.
- Infernal Fetters: Starting from the second “Infernal “Nails” phase, a DPS player will be chained to the off-tank until the nails are destroyed. The chained players will be inflicted with a DoT, take more damage, and deal less damage. The DoT will increase the farther away the players are from one another, so stay close to your partner if you are chained.
- Hellfire: Room-wide AoE that will be lethal if the “Infernal Nails” are not destroyed in time. “Hellfire” is cast when Ifrit reaches 75%, 50%, and 15% health. Destroy the Infernal Nails as soon and as safely possible to avoid a wipe.
|Inferno Bangle of Aiming||Bracelets||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Inferno Bangle of Casting||Bracelets||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Inferno Bangle of Fending||Bracelets||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Inferno Bangle of Healing||Bracelets||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Inferno Bangle of Slaying||Bracelets||Blue (Primal Gear)|
|Inferno Horn||Crafting Material||Basic|
|Faded Copy of Primal Judgement||Crafting Material||Basic|
|Ifrit Card||Triple Triad Card||Basic|
Final Fantasy XIV
- FFXIV The Bowl of Embers (Extreme): Unlock + Trial Guide