To unlock the Level 70 trial The Jade Stoa (Normal), also known as Byakko NM, you need to accept the quest “An Auspicious Encounter” from Soroban in The Ruby Sea (X: 5.7, Y:15.7) and you’ll need to clear the Level 70 dungeon Hells’ Lid.
“An Auspicious Encounter” is a Level 70 sidequest from patch 4.2 of the Stormblood expansion. It can only be unlocked by completing the Level 70 MSQ “Hope on the Waves” from Yugiri in Kugane (X:11.2, Y:9.6).
Step-by-Step Unlock Guide
- Finish the Level 70 MSQ “Hope on the Waves” from Yugiri in Kugane (X:11.2, Y:9.6).
- Accept the quest “An Auspicious Encounter” from Soroban in The Ruby Sea (X: 5.7, Y:15.7).
- Meet Soroban and Tataru outside the entrance to Hells’ Lid in The Ruby Sea (X: 27.1, Y:38.2).
- Clear the Level 70 dungeon Hells’ Lid.
- Talk to the three auspices within Reisen Temple.
- Speak with Genbu in the Reisen Temple (X:6.1, Y:6.0).
- Talk to Byakko in the Reisen Temple (X:5.1, Y:5.1).
Detailed Unlocking Guide
Start unlocking The Jade Stoa by finishing the Level 70 MSQ “Hope on the Waves” from Yugiri in Kugane (X:11.2, Y:9.6).
This is an MSQ from patch 4.2 of the Stormblood expansion and it’s the introductory quest for The Four Lords questline, where you’ll be quelling the raging aramitama of several sacred auspices, including Byakko.
Once you’re ready to start, meet your shelled friend Soroban in The Ruby Sea (X: 5.7, Y:15.7) and accept the quest “An Auspicious Encounter”.
In this sidequest you’ll learn about Soroban’s pursuit of treasures within The Ruby Sea.
The first stop in Soroban’s quest is Hells’ Lid.
Meet him and Tataru outside the entrance in The Ruby Sea (X: 27.1, Y:38.2) to unlock the dungeon. This dungeon requires at least a level 70 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 310 to enter.
A cutscene will trigger after you clear and exit the dungeon where you’ll talk to the final boss of the dungeon, Genbu.
Your new friend will introduce himself as a leader of a group of auspices residing in the Reisen Temple. He’ll ask for your assistance in quelling the raging aramitama of a few of his allies to prepare for a looming battle.
Once you finish the cutscene, you’ll find yourself in the temple. And you’ll need to talk to several auspices to further understand their current situation:
|Kudagitsune||Reisen Temple (X:5.9, Y:5.8)|
|Senri||Reisen Temple (X:6.0, Y:6.4)|
|Kamaitachi||Reisen Temple (X:6.7, Y:6.0)|
After talking to Genbu’s allies, speak with Genbu again in the Reisen Temple (X:6.1, Y:6.0) so he can introduce you to the first sacred auspice that needs your assistance: Byakko.
Speak with Byakko in the Reisen Temple (X:5.1, Y:5.1) to unlock The Jade Stoa.
This trial requires at least a Level 70 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 325 to enter.
Trial Boss: Byakko
Phase 1: State of Shock + Highest Stakes and Unrelenting Anguish
Storm Pulse > Heavenly Strike > State of Shock + Highest Stakes > Sweep the Leg > Heavenly Strike > Unrelenting Anguish > Storm Pulse > Fire and Lightning x3.
- Storm Pulse: A room-wide AoE attack. Shield and heal through the damage.
- Heavenly Strike: A single-target tankbuster on the primary target. Use mitigation skills and heal through the damage.
- State of Shock + Highest Stakes: The boss will grab a random player and fetter them for a few seconds. Then, a stack marker will appear somewhere in the arena as the boss prepares to throw the player in that direction. Stand inside the stack marker to reduce incoming damage.
- Sweep the Leg: A 270-degree frontal AoE attack that knocks players back. Move behind the boss to avoid.
- Unrelenting Anguish: The boss will move to the center and spawn “Aratama” orbs in multiple directions. Each orb applies a stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuff for 120 seconds. Move between the gaps to avoid.
- Fire and Lightning: The boss will target one random player and use a large column attack.
Phase 2: Hakutei and The Roar of Thunder
Hakutei > Aratama (AoE) > Steel Claw x2 > White Herald > Fire and Lightning (Hakutei) > The Roar of Thunder.
- Hakutei: The boss will disappear and detach its tiger arm, making it targetable. Burn the tiger down as much as possible to reduce incoming damage from “The Roar of Thunder.” Note that Hakutei also uses “Fire and Lightning.”
- Aratama (AoE): Targeted AoEs under random players that leave a “Bleeding” DoT puddle for seven seconds. Dispel the DoT should anyone get hit.
- Steel Claw: A frontal cleave tankbuster attack. Face the tiger away from the party.
- White Herald: A tank will be marked with a proximity-based AoE. Have the affected tank move away from the rest of the party and use mitigation skills.
- The Roar of Thunder: A slow-casting room-wide AoE attack that stuns players for seven seconds. This AoE will deal damage based on Hakutei’s current HP. Deal as much damage to Hakutei as possible to mitigate incoming damage.
Phase 3: Freefalling, Aratama, and Fell Swoop
Aratama > Sweep the Leg > Imperial Guard > Aratama (orbs) > Imperial Guard > Sweep the Leg > Imperial Guard > Fell Swoop
In Phase 3, everyone will be freefalling and won’t be able to use any attacks.
Touching the outer edges of the arena during this time will result in instant death.
- Aratama (Phase 2): The boss will shoot more “Aratama” orbs as you fall. These orbs will also apply stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuffs for 120 seconds.
- Sweep the Leg (Phase 2): A room-wide donut AoE that knocks players back.
- Imperial Guard: Hakutei will appear on one side of the arena and cast a column attack that also knocks players back.
- Fell Swoop: A room-wide ultimate attack that can easily kill players with too many “Vulnerability Up” stacks from “Aratama” orbs. Shield and heal through the attack.
Phase 4: Answer on High, Bombogenesis, and Distant Clap
Heavenly Strike > Answer on High > Bombogenesis > Distant Clap > Answer on High > State of Shock + Highest Stakes x2 > Sweep the Leg > Bombogenesis + Fire and Lightning.
- Answer on High: Two sets of directional AoE markers will appear in the center. Then, multiple AoEs will drop consecutively toward the outer edges. Each AoE will apply an 8-second “Paralysis” debuff. Stand in the path of the second set of AoEs, then run in the safe zone once the first set of AoEs passes.
- Bombogenesis: Four random players will be marked with targeted circle AoEs. Spread out to avoid overlapping damage.
- Distant Clap: A large donut AoE that immediately follows “Bombogenesis.” Let the “Bombogenesis” AoE go off before running inside the donut AoE.
Phase 5: Repeating Mechanics
Heavenly Strike > Sweep the Leg > Unrelenting Anguish > Storm Pulse x2 > Fire and Lightning > Bombogenesis + Fire and Lightning > Heavenly Strike > Storm Pulse x2 > Sweep the Leg > Storm Pulse x2 > Answer on High > Bombogenesis > Distant Clap > Storm Pulse x2 > Answer on High > State of Shock + Highest Stakes x2 > Sweep the Leg > Bombogenesis + Fire and Lightning > Storm Pulse x2 > Repeat until death.
At this point in the fight, you’ll have seen every mechanic the trial has to offer.
It’ll repeat the rotation shown above until your party wipes or the boss dies.
However, if your party’s total DPS is strong enough then you probably won’t even reach Phase 5. So don’t worry too much about memorizing the long rotation.
- Byakko Triple Triad Card (not guaranteed)