The Level 53 trial Thok ast Thok (Hard), also known as Ravana HM, can be unlocked by accepting the Level 53 MSQ “Lord of the Hive” from Ysayle in The Dravanian Forelands (X:30.4, Y:37.1).
This is the first of three story trials introduced during patch 3.0 of the Heavensward expansion.
Unlocking Quest: Lord of the Hive
This Level 53 MSQ is part of the patch 3.0 main storyline for the Heavensward expansion. You’ll need to complete every MSQ leading up to it, including every MSQ from the A Realm Reborn base game.
After that, meet Ysayle outside Gnath territory in The Dravanian Forelands (X:30.4, Y:37.1) to begin.
In the main story, Ysayle is willing to surrender to the Gnath in hopes of getting close enough to fight and kill their god, Ravana.
Sure enough, the Gnath immediately pounced on your bait, taking you and Ysayle into their sacrificial chamber.
Not long after, the Gnath performs a successful summoning ritual of Ravana, and Ysayle immediately challenges the Lord of the Hive. Ravana happily accepts and is confident that you and Ysayle will be under his command after this fight.
Then, Ysayle summons the power of Shiva as the two primals fight tooth and nail.
In the end, Ravana proves to be too powerful even for Ysayle.
The Lord of the Hive now turns to you to finish the challenge once and for all.
After the long and eventful cutscene, Thok ast Thok (Hard) will be unlocked. This trial requires at least a Level 53 Disciple of War or Magic job and has no item level requirement.
Trial Boss: Ravana (Hard)
Similar to most old story content, this trial can be easily soloed if you have a high-level character. However, if you’re doing this trial as a new player, you’ll most likely do it through the Duty Finder with a random party.
Check out the boss’ rotations and mechanics below.
Phase 1: Prelude to Slaughter and Slaughter
Blinding Blade > The Seeing Tail > Blinding Blade > repeat until 85% HP > Scorpion Avatar > Blades of Carnage and Liberation > Prelude to Slaughter > Slaughter.
Getting hit by any of the “Slaughter” combo attacks throughout the fight will result in a stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuff.
- Blinding Blade: A cleaving tankbuster attack on the primary target. Face the boss away from the party and mitigate through the damage.
- The Seeing Tail: The boss will put up “Directional Parry” shields in front and behind it for four seconds. Hitting the boss through its shields will nullify your damage and knock you back. Attack from the boss’ flanks until the shields wear off.
- Scorpion Avatar: The boss will gain an “Offensive Optimization” status and a stacking “Damage Up” buff. This avatar makes the boss more offense-oriented and unlocks its “Slaughter” attacks.
- Prelude to Slaughter: A point-blank AoE with knockback followed by line attacks and finished off with a room-wide donut AoE. Move away from melee range while dodging the line attacks, then move to the center.
- Slaughter: A 270-degree knockback attack followed by a cross AoE in the center while large targeted AoEs drop on two players. The cross AoE will apply a 5-second “Burn” debuff to anyone standing on it.
To handle this mechanic, pre-position yourselves behind the boss and wait for the AoE markers to appear. Then, have the marked players move to open quadrants before the cross AoE drops.
Phase 2: Gana Mobs and Bloody Fuller
Dragonfly Avatar > The Seeing Tail > Blinding Blade > Tapasya > Repeat from The Seeing Tail twice > Bloody Fuller > Laughing Moon + Chandrahas.
- Dragonfly Avatar: This avatar allows the boss to summon Gana mobs and gives him another “Damage Up” buff.
- Spirit Gana & Moon Gana: Butterfly mobs will spawn throughout the arena. After a few seconds, each “Gana” mob will try to cast “Falling Laughter” to turn themselves into swords that the boss can use for his ultimate attack. Kill the butterflies as soon as possible.
- Tapasya: A three-hit frontal cone tankbuster on the primary target. Move behind the boss to avoid.
- Bloody Fuller: The boss will stun the entire party and prepare its ultimate attack.
- Laughing Moon + Chandrahas: The boss will pick up any swords left by the butterfly mobs and use a room-wide AoE attack that applies a stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuff for each sword. Then, the boss will use its room-wide ultimate attack that can instantly kill you depending on the vulnerability stacks you’ve accumulated. Kill as many “Gana” mobs as possible to survive this mechanic.
Phase 3: Rose Attacks and Swift Slaughter
Beetle Avatar > Pillars of Heaven > Surpanakha > The Rose of Conviction + The Rose of Hate > Surpanakha > Pillars of Heaven > Surpanakha > The Rose of Conviction + The Rose of Hate > Surpanakha > Scorpion Avatar > Swift Slaughter > Slaughter.
At the start of Phase 3, you can now fall off the edges of the arena, so use those knockback-immunity skills as necessary.
- Beetle Avatar: The boss will gain a “Defensive Optimization” status and another stacking “Damage Up” buff. This avatar reduces the damage taken by the boss and prevents it from using any “Slaughter” attacks.
- Pillars of Heaven: A knockback proximity AoE attack that breaks certain sections of the outer barrier. Stand near the edge of the arena next to a barrier to mitigate the AoE damage.
- Surpanakha: A red marker will appear on the player 2nd in enmity. After a few seconds, the boss will spam non-telegraphed line attacks toward them. Move near the edge of the arena to give your party more room.
- Rose of Hate + Rose of Conviction: Rose orbs will tether to players while the boss casts a basic line attack. Touching the orb will result in a point-blank AoE explosion that applies a stacking “Vulnerability Up” debuff. These explosions can destroy the outer barriers, so keep them away from the outer edges.
- Swift Slaughter: Another combo attack starting with random players getting marked 1 to 4. Then, the boss will rush toward them in order and apply more “Vulnerability Up” debuffs. Afterward, the boss will cast another room-wide donut AoE and finish with a large point-blank knockback AoE.
Have the marked players spread out toward the intercardinal directions for the initial rushing attacks, then avoid the basic AoEs that follow.
Phase 4: Atma-Linga and Repeating Mechanics
Dragonfly Avatar > Atma-Linga > Tapasya > The Seeing Tail > Blinding Blade > Atma-Linga > Blinding Blade > Tapasya > The Seeing Wing > Atma-Linga x2 > Blinding Blade > Tapasya > Repeat from the first Atma-Linga once > Repeat from Phase 3.
At this point, you’ve seen most of the boss’ mechanics. The fight will repeat from Phase 3 if needed.
- Atma-Linga: A room-wide AoE attack. Mitigate and heal through the damage.
- The Seeing Wing: An alternate version of “The Seeing Tail” where the boss shields its flanks for five seconds. Attack it from the front or back.
- Ravana Triple Triad Card (not guaranteed)
- Ravana’s Forewing Crafting Material (not guaranteed)