There are two methods of obtaining TM06 Toxic in Pokémon Platinum:
- One copy can be found on Route 212. It is just a short walk to the southwest of Pastoria City, and is visible on the field as a Poké Ball item.
- Unlimited Copies can be purchased from the Battle Frontier. This method is only available after defeating the Elite Four and the Champion at the Pokémon League, and it costs 32 Battle Points (BP).
Toxic is a Poison-type status move that badly poisons the target, hitting them at an incrementally higher rate of damage over time.
TM06 Toxic Locations
Location #1: Route 212 (Step-by-Step)
The first copy of TM06 Toxic available in Platinum lies just southwest of Pastoria City. It requires no Hidden Moves or prerequisites to obtain.
From Pastoria City’s Pokémon Center, head south, passing the Gym.
Wind your way around the buildings in a general southwestern direction.
Go west from the Poké Mart, past the Berry woman’s house.
Continue traveling southwest after leaving town and entering Route 212.
Travel west until you reach the swamp, then turn south at the very edge of the swamp water.
Against the southern edge of the map, TM06 Toxic will be visible as a Poké Ball item on the ground.
Location #2: Battle Frontier
You can also purchase unlimited copies of TM06 Toxic at the Battle Frontier, which is only accessible after you have defeated the Elite Four and Champion in the Pokémon League.
A ship in Snowpoint City will take you to the Fight Area, which is the small port that leads to the Battle Frontier.
Once you’re in the Fight Area, head northeast from the Pokémon Center, into the Entrance Hall building.
Pass through the Entrance Hall and enter the Battle Frontier.
Inside the Battle Frontier, there are several kiosks in the center that make up a collective marketplace.
The TM seller is standing at the kiosk to the southeast with the red-striped canopy.
Speak with her and she will sell you TM06 Toxic for 32 BP.
BP must be earned at the various arenas scattered around the Battle Frontier. But at a cost of 32 BP, Toxic is one of the cheapest items on the menu.
Toxic Details and Uses
Toxic is a Poison-type status move that inflicts severe poison on the target. The damage exacted by this status gets increasingly worse over time.
|Toxic Move Details
|10 (max. 16)
An equation for calculating the damage from Toxic’s severe poison is X * Y, where:
- X starts at 1
- Y = 1/16 of the afflicted Pokémon’s maximum HP.
With each additional turn that the Pokémon is damaged by Toxic, X increases by +1.
Toxic can be considered one of the most useful offensive status moves in the game, especially against Pokémon with high Defense and HP stats.
When paired with moves like Protect or Substitute, it can be easy to sit back and let Toxic do all the work to win you the battle.
There are a few defensive measures that can be taken if you’re on the receiving end of Toxic, though.
For one, Steel- and Poison-type Pokémon are fully immune to the effects of Toxic.
And poison types also tend to be weaker defensively. So by having a hard-hitting Psychic- or Ground-type Pokémon in your party, you might be able to set up an easy one-hit KO and get rid of the danger early on.
Miscellaneous information about Toxic:
- There does appear to be a damage cap of 15/16 of the Pokémon’s maximum HP, or around 90-95% of its health lost in one round of Toxic, but it would require constant healing to reach this damage level of toxicity.
- Toxic will not affect Pokémon with the Immunity Ability.
- If Toxic is used in a Pokémon Contest, it will earn the user 2 Appeal Points and prevent the Voltage from going down in the same turn.