TM31 Brick Break can be found in two locations in Platinum:
- One copy is on the basement floor of Oreburgh Gate. It requires the Bicycle and the Hidden Move Rock Smash to reach.
- Unlimited copies can be purchased at the Battle Frontier. Each copy costs 40 BP, which are won by fighting in the Battle Frontier’s various facilities.
Brick Break is a Fighting-type physical move. It removes Light Screen and Reflect from the target’s side of the field before inflicting damage.
Getting TM31 Brick Break
Location #1: Oreburgh Gate (Step-by-Step)
TM31 Brick Break is located on the first basement floor of Oreburgh Gate, west of Oreburgh City.
Accessing this TM requires the use of both the Bicycle and the Hidden Move Rock Smash.
This means the earliest you can get TM31 is after defeating Gym Leader Gardenia in Eterna City and saving Rad Rickshaw’s Clefairy from the Team Galactic Eterna Building.
When you have everything you need, the quickest way to the Oreburgh Gate’s copy of TM31 Brick Break is by starting at the Oreburgh City Pokémon Center and moving west down the street.
Turn northward to follow along with the street and move toward the double staircases.
Climb the staircases and enter Oreburgh Gate’s cave entrance.
Once you’re inside, head west through the cavern, past the Picnicker/Camper trainers.
Then turn to the north into the narrow hallway next to the Hiker NPC.
Use Rock Smash on the rock obstacles blocking the hall.
Then turn right and descend the stairs at the end of the hall.
On this floor, move down both staircases and head west at the first breakable rocks.
Use Rock Smash to clear the obstacles cluttering the passageway and move through it.
Keep going west until you reach the Cyclist NPC.
At that point, use your Bicycle and switch it into fourth gear (the faster one) by pressing the B button. This will allow you to use the bike ramps to the west to jump over boulders.
Ride your Bicycle in a straight line west at top speed to hop both ramps and land beside a Poké Ball item in the top corner.
Pick up the Poké Ball item to receive TM31 Brick Break.
Location #2: The Battle Frontier
Multiple copies of TM31 Brick Break can also be purchased at the Battle Frontier.
This is the huge building to the northeast of the Pokémon Center in the Battle Zone’s Fight Area.
After entering the building, cut through the Entrance Hall and head through the door to the north.
In the middle of the Main Hall will be several kiosks making up a central marketplace. This is the Exchange Service Corner.
Speak to the clerk at the southeastern kiosk with the red and white striped canopy.
Scroll through her inventory until you find the TM31 Brick Break listing.
TM31 Brick Break is one of the cheaper TMs at the Battle Frontier – each copy only costs 40 BP.
Brick Break Details and Uses
Brick Break is a damage-dealing Fighting-type physical move that also removes Light Screen and Reflect from the target’s side of the field.
|Brick Break Move Details|
|PP||15 (max. 24)|
Brick Break isn’t a very powerful attack. But it has an uncommonly useful secondary effect: removing Light Screen and/or Reflect from the target’s side of the field.
Both of those are widely-used barrier moves that can cause all manner of havoc for the opposing team. And many players use both Light Screen and Reflect in double-casting strategies—Brick Break stops all that.
One major benefit to Brick Break is that it removes Light Screen and Reflect before dealing damage.
This ensures that the target feels the full brunt of the attack.
Brick Break can also be taught to a vast number of Pokémon, including plenty of non-Fighting types, making it even more versatile in battle strategies.
It should be noted that some people opt for Defog over Brick Break.
- Defog does no damage, but will lower the target’s evasion by one stage on top of breaking Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard.
- However, Defog also removes entry hazard traps from the target’s side of the field. This is a major downside if your strategy includes moves like Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes.
In most cases, Brick Break is the better move.
Miscellaneous Info about Brick Break:
- Brick Break will remove Light Screen and Reflect from the target’s side of the field even if the target is an ally.
- Brick Break will also remove those effects if the target is immune to Brick Break’s damage, such as by being a Ghost type.
- TM31 Brick Break can be sold for 1,500 PokéDollars.
- If Brick Break is used in a Pokémon Contest, it will earn the user 3 Appeal Points.
- How To Get TM31 Brick Break in Pokémon Platinum