We recently surveyed 3,000 respondents about their favorite game genres to map out people’s varied personality traits based on their video game preference.
The fascinating state by state breakdown is below.
- A majority of states (32 out of 50) were identified as ‘intellectually curious’ based on their gaming preferences, favoring games that encourage deep thinking, exploring complex themes, or learning new concepts.
- Ten states were characterized by a preference for adrenaline-thrill games, which are intense, fast-paced, and challenge the player’s reflexes or strategic thinking.
- Residents of California, Georgia, and Texas exhibited a competitive streak in their gaming choices, often gravitating towards player-vs-player (PvP) interactions.
- A desire for social connection through gaming was prominent among New Yorkers and North Dakotans, who favored games that emphasize group activities, community-building, and collective experiences.
- Three states, Alaska, South Dakota, and Wyoming, showed a preference for relaxation-oriented games, which are designed to be calming and therapeutic.
Implications of the Study:
- The diverse gaming preferences across different states reflect a broad spectrum of personality traits and interests among Americans, underscoring the cultural richness and varied personal aspirations present in our society.
- The strong inclination towards intellectually stimulating games in many states suggests a societal value for critical thinking, learning, and exploration, reflecting a culture of continuous self-improvement and curiosity.
- The notable competitiveness among gamers in certain states like California, Georgia, and Texas may echo a broader competitive spirit within these regions, which could translate to other domains such as sports, academics, or the job market.
- The yearning for social connections observed in New Yorkers and North Dakotans through gaming preferences may indicate a communal ethos or possibly a response to social isolation, offering insight into the social dynamics and human interaction needs within these states.
- The attraction to relaxation-oriented games in a few states suggests a segment of the population values tranquility and stress-relief, highlighting gaming’s therapeutic potential and its role in mental well-being.
- Overall, this study illuminates the multifaceted role of gaming as not merely a form of entertainment, but a medium through which individuals express, explore, and fulfill their diverse interests, social needs, and personal aspirations.
Online panel survey of 3,000 adults based on age, gender, and geography. Internal data sources are used to obtain population data sets. We used a two-step process to ensure representativeness through stratified sampling and post-stratification weighting.