|Skarmory Lv. 57
|Claydol Lv. 57
|Aggron Lv. 57
|Cradily Lv. 57
|Armaldo Lv. 57
|Mega Metagross Lv. 59
|Steel / Flying
|Ground / Psychic
|Steel / Rock
|Rock / Grass
|Rock / Bug
|Steel / Psychic
Tips & Strategies for Defeating Steven
Here are some tips and strategies to help you win this fight:
- Prepare a Variety of Super Effective Moves. Different members of Steven’s team are vulnerable to different types. Having a wide coverage of moves will allow you to handle any Pokemon he uses against you. For a list of weaknesses for each of his team members, refer to the table above.
- Opt for Special Attacks. Steven’s team is mostly made of Rock and Steel-types, which usually have a much higher Defense stat. Using special attacks in this battle would be more effective. In Steven’s lineup, only Claydol has a higher Special Defense than Defense.
- Remove Dual Screens with Defog or Brick Break. Steven’s Claydol may attempt to set up Dual Screens with Light Screen and Reflect—moves that halve special and physical damage, respectively. Be warned, if you don’t eliminate these effects with Defog or Brick Break, Steven’s Pokémon will be significantly harder to defeat.
- Beware of Mega Metagross. Mega Metagross, Steven’s Mega Evolved ace Pokémon, is a fearsome threat due to its well-rounded stats and extremely high base Attack and Defense. If you’re unprepared for this, it might be able to wipe out your team. Use a powerful Dark, Fire, Ghost, or Ground-type move to deal with it.
- Take the Ability Sturdy into Account. Both Skarmory and Aggron possess the Sturdy ability, which means they can withstand one lethal attack at full health, leaving them with 1 HP. Steven will often heal them with a Full Restore right after Sturdy triggers.
Recommended Pokémon & Moves to Use
Finding Mega Metagross tough to beat?
You could try using Mega Evolution on your own Pokémon to tip the scales. A safe option is to let your starter Pokémon Mega Evolve to handle Mega Metagross.
Or you might consider changing some of your Pokémon’s moves before the battle.
Consider letting eligible Pokémon learn the following TMs to help you deal with Steven’s team.
After Defeating Steven
After defeating Steven, you’ll receive a reward of P 11,800.
But more importantly, you’ll now be the new Hoenn League Champion!
Following your victory, a lengthy cutscene will play out. Eventually Steven will induct your current team into the Hall of Fame. The game will then automatically save and the credits will roll.
But wait! The game isn’t over yet.
More post-game features will be unlocked, including a new story: The Delta Episode. Finishing this will unlock even more features, including a much more challenging rematch against the Elite Four and Champion.