|Gym Leaders Liza & Tate
|Rock / Psychic
|Rock / Psychic
The Mossdeep City Gym is the seventh Gym in the Hoenn League. Liza & Tate, the Mossdeep Gym Leaders, specialize in Psychic-type Pokémon. Upon defeating Liza & Tate, you’ll be rewarded with the Mind Badge and TM04 Calm Mind.
Unlike previous Hoenn Gym Leaders, the battle against Liza and Tate will be a Double Battle (2v2).
And for a quick refresher, here’s the weaknesses and resistances of Psychic-type Pokémon, and which Pokémon are vulnerable to Psychic-type attacks:
|Super Effective Against
To challenge Liza & Tate, you must first:
- Obtain the sixth Gym Badge from Winona, Fortree City’s Gym Leader
- Deal with Team Aqua/Magma in their Hideout in Lilycove to gain access to Route 124, which leads to Mossdeep City
Tip: Consider stopping by the Poké Mart to stock up on Hyper Potions. You could also give the first two Pokémon in your party a Chesto Berry, which will wake them up if Liza’s Lunatone successfully uses Hypnosis.
Mossdeep Gym Puzzle Solution (Step-by-Step)
The Mossdeep City Gym’s puzzle revolves around floating platforms. You can navigate through the Gym by stepping on the white dots, which will transport you to a different platform.
Most platforms contain a dimly-lit rock and a trainer you can battle. When you interact with a rock to make it glow brighter, it will change the path of the dots and where they will take you.
Here’s a step-by-step of exactly how to reach the gym leaders:
Step 1: Start by heading north from the entrance till you reach a white dot. Step on it, and it’ll transport you to the first floating platform with a trainer and a glowing rock.
Step 2: Challenge Psychic Preston to a battle. Then activate the glowing rock to change the path, and then step on the southern white dot to proceed.
Step 3: You’ll be sent back to the starting platform.
From here, step on the northern white dot again. This should now take you to a new platform.
Step 4: You’ll now battle another trainer, Psychic Joshua, on this new platform.
Then interact with the glowing rock here. This time, there will be two paths you can choose from. Take the white dot on the right.
Step 5: This next platform is guarded by Psychic Fritz. Defeat him and interact with the glowing rock.
Two more paths will open, and you want to take the path directly next to the trainer (the southern dot).
Step 6: On the next platform you can challenge Hex Maniac Patricia.
After defeating her, activate the final glowing rock and take the white dot directly below it (also the southern dot).
Step 7: Taking that path should bring you back to the platform where you battled the first trainer.
From here, step on the southern white dot again.
Step 8: Finally, you’ll find yourself back at the initial platform once again.
But this time, the central path is now open. So step on the northern white dot and it will lead you to Gym Leaders Liza & Tate.
The central path will take you to the highest, northernmost platform inside the Gym where Gym Leaders Liza & Tate await.
Make sure your team is prepared and fully healed before initiating the battle.
Tips on Defeating Liza & Tate
Here are some tips and strategies to help you win this fight:
- Exploit Solrock and Lunatone’s Weaknesses. Liza and Tate’s only Pokemon have the Rock/Psychic dual typing. So, not only are they vulnerable to the weaknesses of Psychic-types (Bug, Ghost, and Dark), they’re both vulnerable to what Rock is weak to (Steel, Water, and Grass).
- Avoid Using Ground-Type Moves. While Rock-types are also weak to Ground-type moves, Solrock and Lunatone’s Levitate ability makes them immune to it instead. Don’t use moves like Earthquake unless you can negate their abilities with Mold Breaker or Gastro Acid.
- Battle with Dark-Type Pokemon. Dark-types are not only super effective against Psychic but are also immune to Psychic-type moves. Cacturne is an especially good choice since both their Pokémon are also weak to Grass.
- Utilize Multi-Target Moves. Since it’s a Double Battle, moves that hit multiple targets, like Crawdaunt’s Surf, can damage both Pokémon simultaneously. Even though they take a 25% damage reduction in Double battles, these moves are still useful.
- Use Physical Moves. When Lunatone uses Light Screen, damage from Special moves are reduced by half. This makes Physical moves more effective. You can also remove Light Screen’s effect using Brick Break or Defog.
Pokémon Team Suggestions
If you’re looking for new teammates to add to your party to help you defeat Liza & Tate, you should consider catching any of the following Pokémon:
|Grass / Dark
|Water / Dark
Rewards for Defeating Liza & Tate
After defeating Liza & Tate you’ll be rewarded with the following: