|Gym Leader Wallace
|Water / Ground
|Water / Ice
The Sootopolis City Gym is the eighth and final Gym in the Hoenn League. Wallace, the Sootopolis Gym Leader, specializes in Water-type Pokémon.
After defeating Wallace you’ll be rewarded with the Rain Badge and HM05 Waterfall.
And for a quick refresher, here’s the weaknesses and resistances of Water-type Pokémon, and which Pokémon typings are vulnerable to Water-type attacks:
|Super Effective Against
To challenge Wallace you must first:
- Obtain the seventh Gym Badge from Liza & Tate, Mossdeep City’s Gym Leaders
- Use HM07 Dive on Route 126 to gain access to Sootopolis City
- Complete the main story quest involving Groudon/Kyogre taking place in the Cave of Origin
Sootopolis Gym Puzzle Solution (Step-by-Step)
The Sootopolis City Gym features three ice tile puzzles. Your objective is to step on every tile once, which will cause the stairs to the next puzzle to appear.
But if you step on the same ice tile twice, you’ll fall to the lower level of the Gym.
Here’s a step-by-step teaching you how to solve the puzzles optimally & how to reach Wallace at the end:
1st Ice Puzzle
From the entrance, proceed directly up the hallway. You’ll find the first ice puzzle up the central staircase.
The first ice tile puzzle consists of 25 tiles.
You can solve the puzzle by following the path shown in the image below.
2nd Ice Puzzle
The second ice tile puzzle consists of 40 ice tiles. This time, there’s a large wooden square tile in the middle that you can step on as often as you like.
You can solve this puzzle by following the path shown in the image below. Note that this involves stepping onto the central wooden section for a few paces.
3rd Ice Puzzle
The third and final ice tile puzzle consists of 78 ice tiles.
As the hardest puzzle, there’s three wooden squares and two optional trainers to make things more challenging. The two trainers (Poké Fan Marissa and Lass Crissy) won’t approach you when you’re on an ice tile, so they are entirely optional.
You can solve this puzzle by following the path shown in the image below:
|Poké Fan Marissa
|Water / Fairy
After solving the third and final puzzle, just walk up the stairs to find Wallace.
Tips on Defeating Wallace
Here are some tips and strategies to help you win this fight:
- Use Electric and Grass-type Moves. All of Wallace’s Pokémon are vulnerable to Grass-type moves, like Cradily’s Giga Drain, and Electric-type moves (except Whiscash), like Lanturn’s Discharge.
- Watch Out for Ice-type Moves. Be cautious when using Grass-types. Sealeo’s Aurora Beam and Milotic’s Ice Beam might catch you off guard.
- Be Mindful of Whiscash’s Ground-type Immunity. Whiscash’s part-Ground type makes it immune to Electric moves, and it may even use Mud Sport to weaken Electric-type attacks for his team.
- Prepare for Potential Status Conditions. Bring Full Heals or hold a Lum Berry to deal with disruption moves such as Attract, Sweet Kiss, Body Slam, or Ice Beam. Additionally, using fast Pokémon can help you avoid flinching caused by moves like Zen Headbutt and Waterfall.
- Utilize Part-Water Pokémon. Part-water Pokémon resist Wallace’s Water and Ice moves. So, Pokémon like Lanturn and Ludicolo are particularly effective against Wallace because their secondary type is also strong against Water-types.
- Level Up Your Pokémon. While this is generally good advice for all Gyms, it is especially important here. Wallace may get lucky and use Seaking’s Horn Drill to OHKO your Pokémon. However, if your Pokémon are level 45 or higher, they are immune to OHKO moves from lower-level Pokémon.
Pokémon Team Suggestions
If you’re looking for new teammates to add to your party to help you defeat Wallace, you should consider catching and raising the following Pokémon:
|Water / Electric
|Water / Grass
|Rock / Grass
|15% chance in the following underwater routes:
Rewards for Defeating Wallace
After defeating Wallace, you’ll be rewarded with the following:
- HM05 Waterfall
- The Rain Badge – this allows you to use Waterfall outside of battle. It also allows all Pokémon up to level 100 to obey you, including traded Pokémon.